Braylee for quite sometime has been putting in for a puppy. We put it off for a while but I slowly started caving and thinking maybe a puppy would not be so bad and the girls would love it. I did my research on puppies/dogs that were good with kids and decided on a miniature dachshund. They are small, loving, loyal, etc...
I drove, what seemed, clear across Virginia to get this puppy from a breeder and the minute I picked him up, I had a huge knot in my stomach and thought "what have we just done"! I should mention, i had friends warn me of an indoor puppy but thought our experience would be great! I grew up with outdoor big dogs so have never had an indoor little dog, especially an indoor puppy.
I see now why people have dogs before children unless the children are much older. My great puppy idea turned out to be not so great for the Dempsey family. I had allergies to him and I don't think any of us slept for two nights due to barking. i was up more with this puppy than I was with Braylee and Belle as newborns.
Anyway, we had the puppy for all of 48 hours before I called the breeder and said, "this was not a good idea"! I don't have the time for a puppy with two small children, I have allergies and not to mention we are on the go all the time. You would think I would have thought of all of this first, but NO!!!!
We explained to Braylee that the puppy came to visit us for a few days to play but had to go back to be with his Mama again. She totally understood and was fine with it and agreed he needed to be with his Mama because he barks a lot. Whew, I could breathe easy again!
He went to a wonderful family that was next in line to get him if we didn't. They also have other dachshunds so he immediately had brothers and sisters. Tucker is happy and so are we! Lesson learned. I love dogs and puppies but it will be awhile before we have one.
No comments:
Post a Comment